I am from Canada, and I have been in Australia for 2 years on a working visa. I have received a fine ($110) for disturbing the peace (public nuisance). If I leave the country, can I get back in on a later date, on a tourist visa, if I haven't paid this fine?

If this is true, and I cannot get a tourist visa with an existing fine, can I pay it from outside Australia, and then apply for my tourist visa, hassle free?

  • 1
    Sorry, are you still in Australia, or have you already returned to Canada?
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 5:55
  • semi-related - Do I have to pay traffic fines issued by foreign governments?
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 5:56
  • 6
    Why not just pay the fine?
    – Karlson
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 12:21
  • I have no idea if there is any sort of database of pending fines that could be cross-checked against passenger manifests or interrogated before letting someone in the country or any legal basis to do something like that in Australia but if there was, wouldn't the authorities first try to recover the fine before letting you board a flight out of the country?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 15:05
  • It may also help if you tell us which state/territory the fine was incurred in.
    – Sam
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 22:21

3 Answers 3


Australia like most other countries have rules for revocation and refusal of visa which is currently governed by Ministerial Direction 55. In addition there are rules for Controversial Visa Applications.

And while Public Nuisance may not qualify as a criminal offense, although there was a call to review that in Queensland, you may not pass the character test which states among other things:

  • having regard to the person's past and present general conduct, the person is found to be not of good character

This means that it is within the discretion of the Immigration authority to deny you visa if they find this sufficient cause to do so.

So I would direct the question to an Australian Consulate on whether your particular case need to be reported as criminal record.

As far as payment of a fine is concerned you can look at the results on Google which lists payment facilities for various states in Australia.

  • I suspect the non-payment would be a bigger issue than the misdemeanour.
    – dlanod
    Commented Jan 28, 2014 at 1:02
  • @dlanod It would but for the moment I am assuming that it hasn't kicked in.
    – Karlson
    Commented Jan 28, 2014 at 1:26

They probably won't block your entry, as long as you pay the fine. The interest added to the fine shouldn't be too much for you to manage. Good luck.

  • 7
    Do you have a reference for this? Some sort of website or previous experience which is more than an (apparent) guess?
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 9:11

If you don't want to enter the blacklist of immigration, you should pay the fine before leaving Australia. Even when you paid the fee, I have a doubt that you can get a tourist visa for the travels later.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .