Short version: If a Taiwanese citizen with a current passport and a clean prior travel record and who has had prior visits to the US wants to visit the US to attend a wedding, is there a way of expediting the normal US application process and what is the minimum time liable to be required?

Longer version:

A friend who is a Taiwanese citizen and who lives in Taipei told me previously that she would be attending a friend's wedding in the US (California,) but a few days ago said that she was not able to do so, as she had since found that the time required to obtain entry permission to the US for a Taiwanese citizen was excessive. The wedding is late January - say 2+ weeks from now. I understand that the 'bottleneck' is gaining US approval, not at the Taiwanese end.

I suggested to her that there are usually (official and legal) fast track processes available for those willing to pay extra $, but she was unaware of such being available in this case. I could wade into the available internet information available but hopefully someone here is aware of the specific situation.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Mark Mayo, uncovery, choster, user3470, Vince Jan 9 '14 at 8:36

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 8
    As a Taiwanese citizen, she can visit the US under the visa waiver program. Why is she required to apply for a visa in advance? – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Jan 8 '14 at 13:47