I'm an exchange student from Russia, and I have the national visa D type. But it's written there "valid for Italia". Can I go to other Schengen countries with this kind of visa? Because I want to visit France but I don't know if I can. Now I'm in Italy.

  • possible duplicate of Can I visit Schengen countries on a long term German Visa?
    – Relaxed
    Jan 28, 2014 at 11:25
  • @Ksenia - "valid for Italia" means that you need to enter and leave Schengen zone through Italia. Once you are in the zone, you can freely travel to any Schengen country. Just make sure that your flight back to Russia initiates from Italy.
    – Andrey
    Feb 5, 2014 at 16:33
  • @Andrey that is not correct. The holder of a type D visa may enter at (and depart from) any point.
    – phoog
    Jul 26, 2017 at 13:07
  • @phoog - yes and no. You "can" enter Schengen thru any country of the zone, but usually the rules (that each country defines) day that you need to spending most of the Schengen zone time in the country using the Visa. Like for Finland, you need to enter the zone via Finland at least 50% time etc. If you break those rules you may have problems getting a new visa. That's what i meant, but probably explained poorly above
    – Andrey
    Jul 26, 2017 at 13:13
  • @Andrey do you have a source for that Finnish rule? It doesn't make any sense. For example, suppose someone lives in a place that has no direct flights to Finland. Is such a person restricted from being able to fly witha Schengen-based airline? Surely the point of Schengen visa rules isnot to drive business away from Schengen companies.
    – phoog
    Jul 26, 2017 at 15:24

1 Answer 1


According the Italian Ministry of Foreign affairs you can visit other countries in Schengen area as long as it no more then 90 days in a 6 months period :

Long sojourn or "national" Visas (NV), which are only valid for visits that are longer than 90 days (type D), with one or more entries, in the territory of the Schengen State whose diplomatic mission issued the visa. Holders of type D visas are permitted to circulate freely in Schengen countries other than the issuing one for a period of not more than 90 days per half-year and only if the visa is valid.

  • I believe this answer is incorrect. It's obviously true that type D visas generally allow the holder to travel in the Schengen area (which is the point of this paragraph) but it still should say so on the visa.
    – Relaxed
    Jan 5, 2014 at 8:46
  • You should also be aware that they have no way to check that you are sticking to the 90 day rule, so in practice you have unlimited travel within Schengen for the duration of your visa. Jan 5, 2014 at 18:00
  • @Annoyed Estonia, France, Poland, and finally Regulation 265/2010 which requires long-stay visa to be equated for travel purposes to residence permit (item 3), see also Article I paragraph 2 the amendments to the aquis.
    – Karlson
    Jan 7, 2014 at 13:44
  • @Karlson What does any of this have to do with my remark?
    – Relaxed
    Jan 7, 2014 at 14:40
  • @Annoyed There is no requirement for territorial validity in accordance with the Regulation I linked.
    – Karlson
    Jan 7, 2014 at 14:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .