My wife and I are planning to visit a hotel in Koh Chang Thailand in January. Does anyone know if an adapter is needed?

We are from Sweden. According to Wikipedia we use CEE 7/4, commonly called "Schuko" socket, has a recessed round shape with two symmetrical round sockets and two earthing clips on the sides of the socket.

I have heard that is depends on where in Thailand you are. This is our first time on this island.


According to electricaloutlet.org, the outlets in Thailand are either type A or type C outlets, respectively:

type A type C

Type C is used in Sweden as well, along with type F (they are almost the same, C can fit in F and vice versa), so all you need to be certain is an adapter from type C/F to type A as shown above.

Regarding voltage, in Thailand it is 220v and in Sweden it is 230v, so no problems, you can use your devices from Sweden in Thailand.

|improve this answer|||||
  • You may want to look into getting one adapter to fit "all." For example: google.com/… The singles can be small and easy to lose. There is some interesting info here regarding power strips: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/8994/… – JillDalglish Dec 31 '13 at 23:05
  • By far the most common outlet shape in Thailand accomodates both of the plugs pictured. In case you do come across outlets as pictured, plug adapters are widely available for under a dollar (not transformers, which as Halabi says you don't need). – hunter2 Jan 7 '14 at 8:16

Lucky for you, I have explained it all, at length.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for?Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.