I am currently studying masters in the US and I hold a J1 visa.

I want to continue my PhD in a Canadian university can I apply for a Canadian student visa (assuming I have been accepted by Canadian University) or must I obtain the visa from my country of permanent residence?

closed as off-topic by user1712, Rory Alsop, Vince, Karlson, choster Dec 22 '13 at 22:29

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about immigration or moving for extended periods of time (studies or employment, among others) are off-topic. See the meta post Is it OK to ask questions about migration?." – Community, Rory Alsop, Vince, Karlson, choster
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


I found this on the official website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada

You must select the visa office that serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.

I would think that a J1 visa could be enough to satisfy this requirement but I am not sure.

Additionally, for temporary residence or study permits, you can apparently apply in any Visa Application Centre and your application will then be forwarded to the relevant visa office. If I understand this correctly (I never did it myself), you cannot choose which visa office will handle your application but you won't necessarily need to go to this office in person.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.