I'm a French PhD student in a US University. I'm going abroad for 3 weeks. Do I need a transcript to re-enter the US along with my F1 visa and I-20 form? If so does the transcript have to be official?


No, you don't need a transcript. Here is the list of the requirements from the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website:

  1. A Form I-20, endorsed for travel and signed by your DSO
  2. You have been out of the United States for less than five months
  3. A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry or, if you are from one of the countries listed below, a passport that is current through the date of entry
  4. A valid, current visa or you traveled to contiguous country or adjacent island for less than thirty days
  5. Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses

If you are from a visa exempt country, you do not need a visa to reenter the United States from the western hemisphere, but make sure that you present your I-20 to be admitted as an F-1 student and not a visitor.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.