I am a citizen of an EU member state, being a resident in another EU member state. I hold a both a national identity card of my birth country and a resident permit of my home country. In an answer to an earlier question I asked about traveling to the UK with an almost invalid national identity card it was mentioned that at least in the UK I should be given "every reasonable opportunity” to prove I am an EEA national. Given that information is printed on my resident permit, I am wondering to what extend such a resident permit is a valid travel document to travel within the EU.

  • 2
    Being given “every reasonable opportunity” to prove your citizenship is not UK-specific but based on EU law.
    – Relaxed
    Nov 19, 2013 at 15:06
  • Again, the point is that you don't require a travel document at all, just to establish your nationality…
    – Relaxed
    Nov 19, 2013 at 15:07

1 Answer 1


You can enter any EU/EEA member country as long as you can prove your nationality by any means, according to Wikipedia:

Strictly speaking, it is not necessary for an EEA or Swiss citizen to possess a valid national identity card or passport to enjoy the right of free movement. In theory, if an EEA or Swiss citizen can prove his/her nationality by any other means (e.g. by presenting an expired national identity card or passport, or a citizenship certificate) he/she must be permitted to enter and reside in the EEA and Switzerland without a visa.

As you can see, as long as you can prove your nationaly by any means then you can travel to any EU/EEA country. Of course presenting a valid passport or national ID card should make things easier but any other document would work as well.

  • 3
    It may make the difference between 15 seconds at immigration while they scan your passport, vs a 6 hour epic with lots of questioning and waiting...
    – Gagravarr
    Nov 19, 2013 at 15:15
  • 2
    Even if valid travel documents are not strictly required for an EU, EEA or CH citizen to enter UK, are they not required to exit the Schengen area? That is Andra's first issue before facing the problem how to enter the UK. Nov 19, 2013 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy