I am a Canadian citizen, currently living in Italy. My 90-day Schengen visiting period is due to expire in a month. However, I would like to stay for several more months (learn the language and travel around). Is it possible to extend my stay without leaving Italy? Can I apply for a visa for Italy in Italy? If not, can I apply for a residence permit? If I can get a residence permit, will I have problems leaving/entering the country because my Schengen entry stamp will show that I overstayed?

I saw a very good reply here Extended stay visa for Germany Is there a similar, proper process for Italy?


Long term visas exist in Italy (Visto Nazionale) but I think you need to state a valid reason for staying (like studies, work, etc.). See if Google Translate translates this page well enough for you:

Original Translated

It may take 30 days to have the visa done anyway, or even 90 if you're a freelance worker.

  • 1
    You can't just leave Italy/Schengen for a weekend and come back if you've used up your 90 days there. Schengen rules clearly state you must leave for 90 days before returning. Oct 10 '13 at 12:47
  • 1
    I didn't know that. I'll correct the answer. Oct 10 '13 at 13:53
  • Here's one of our questions about the 90/180 visa rules if you want to find some more information. Oct 10 '13 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.