I'm an Egyptian citizen, who holds Schengen visa and stay permit in Italy. Can I go to UK for some days with my stay permit and Schengen visa?

  • 1
    Can you clarify what sort of permit you have to be in Italy? (It's likely to make a big difference)
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Oct 5, 2013 at 18:12

2 Answers 2


The UK is not part of the Schengen agreement. So you would need a seperate visa. The only situation you wouldn't is discussed inthis answer.


The UK is part of the EU, but not part of the Schengen border-free region.

As part of the EU rules on freedom of movement, EU Nationals can travel to the UK without needing a visa (but they do need a passport or National Identify Card to show at the border to show their entitlement to this). Additionally, the Non-EU family members of EU nationals can travel to the UK, but it's a little more complicated. For that case, see the Europa.eu page for details, which explains if the non-EU family member would need to apply for a (free) visa in advance, or if they can travel visa-free.

If you're neither an EU National, nor a family member of one, then the normal UK entry requirements apply to you. There's a handy wizard on the Border Agency site to help you with that one, and when we type in your details (Egyptian National resident in Italy) it says you need a visa.

Being a resident of another EU country isn't enough to travel within the EU visa free, it only generally gives you access to that border area (eg a Schengen, UK-IE common travel area etc). For the full freedom of movement within the EU, it's EU national or family only, sorry!

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .