I am a citizen of Pakistan and I was recently granted a long term visa "type D" National Visa of Poland.

I was wondering can I transit through Denmark or Germany en-route to my host country or do I need a transit/tourist visa from those countries?

With the flights I am looking at it seems like I will have to pass through border control in order to catch a 'domestic' flight to Warsaw either from CPG or Frankfurt.

  • 2
    I think it's different because he doesn't have a Schengen visa - he has a Polish resident visa. The rules may be the same but I sure wouldn't assume that. @saad does your visa say anywhere that it's a Schengen visa? Oct 3 '13 at 9:45
  • 1
    @hippietrail no it doesn't say its a schengen visa it just says issued for Polska I have been given schengen visas before and I know for those your first country should be the one where you get the visa from. I need some clarification asap. I am catching a flight on Saturday for CPG otherwise ill have to change my flight plan accordingly.
    – user8670
    Oct 3 '13 at 11:47
  • 2
    @Vince: I really don't know and it would not surprise me either way. I would not feel confident in making that assumption if assuming wrong could have negative effects. That could be a good question general question for the site. Oct 3 '13 at 12:52
  • 1
    @hippietrail: There are some fine differences to be aware of. For example a type D visa gives the holder more rights in the issuing state than in the other Schengen states, where it only grants rights for transit and short term stays. Each state may also have further national regulations. In Germany, deportation suspensions can be granted to non-EU citizens, who do not fulfill the requirements for a regular residence permit. These are in most cases limited to a specific district and does not allow the holder to travel freely within Germany or to other Schengen states. Oct 3 '13 at 23:46
  • 1
    It is definitive not a duplicate of the two other questions, since they deal with type C visa. This question is about a type D visa. Oct 7 '13 at 12:31

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.