I am a non-EU citizen (with Indian passport) travelling to Sweden on a work permit. The embassy told me that all I need to carry are the passport and the work/residence permit card. Is that it? I mean, my passport has nothing affixed to it. Isn't a visa required if you have a work permit?

On a related note: Can I travel to other countries in the EU/Schengen zone with a work permit from one of them? If yes, is there a restriction on the number of days?

  • 5
    it's awesome how people trust travel.SE more than an embassy :-)
    – Geeo
    Sep 10, 2013 at 6:20
  • 3
    Celebrate the fact that you are part of such a community :)
    – Prometheus
    Sep 10, 2013 at 6:26
  • @Prometheus: please put where are traveling from in this question and the question about med. insurance.
    – vartec
    Sep 10, 2013 at 11:56
  • Travelling from India and crossing the Schengen zone in Helsinki.
    – Prometheus
    Sep 10, 2013 at 14:52

1 Answer 1


Official requirements for a non-EU citizen to enter Schengen zone (source):

  • He/she is in possession of a valid travel document or documents authorising them to cross the border; the acceptance of travel documents for this purpose remains within the domain of the member states;
  • The travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen Area (although in a justified case of emergency this obligation may be waived) and must have been issued within the previous 10 years
  • The traveller either possesses a valid visa (if required) or a valid residence permit;
  • The traveller can justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay and has sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to his or her country of origin or transit to a third country into which the traveller is certain to be admitted, or is in a position to acquire such means lawfully;
  • The Schengen Information System does not contain an alert for refusal of entry concerning the traveller, and
  • The traveller is not considered to be a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or the international relations of any of the Schengen states.

However, once you're inside of Schengen zone:

What is the legal rights of foreigners within the Schengen area?

The Schengen Agreement permits individuals who are staying legally within the Schengen territory to travel about inside the territory without border checks. This does not only apply to the citizens of these countries but also to foreigners. Thus, foreigners with a valid residence permit in a Schengen State and carrying valid documents can travel within the territory and do not need any special permission to do so.

Note, that even though residency card is generally accepted as photo ID, it is not a travel document, and won't be accepted by various airlines.

On the other hand non-Schengen EU countries (for example UK) may require additional visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.