I'm an American who's been to Vietnam 3 times in the last year, my 1st visa was 1 month single entry, the 2nd visa was another 1 month single entry, and my 3rd visa was a 3 month multiple entry which I have gotten extended for another 3 months.

I got the extension for my current visa in Hue (where I'm currently living), it was done by someone in the government that a friend of mine knew, it came down to the last day left on my visa but thankfully everything worked out. I don't have that option again.

Now my visa is going to expire again in a few weeks and I was looking for help with how I can get another 3 month extension. A friend of mine said to go to Laos for a day and then come back, but when I flew into Vietnam for all my visits, I had to pre-arrange a 'visa on arrival' and show papers proving I had this arrangement before I could board an airplane.

I'm worried if I leave the country they won't let me back in, I teach English part time at a school that doesn't give work visas (so they can't help me) and I very much would like to keep teaching.


Sounds like you need to make a 'Visa run'.

Pre-arrange your "Visa on-arrival" like you did with you previous multi-entry, depart the country and then return.

Another option could be to depart and then work your multi-entry through a Vietnamese Embassy, that way you can get the Visa put in your passport before you fly back to Vietnam, but this might keep you out of Vietnam for a week or so.

  • 2
    Vietnamese visa-on-arrival must be pre-arranged and is only possible for arriving by air, not by land border. This is very different to what most countries call "visa on arrival". The process for getting a Vietnam visa is pain-free it Sihanoukville, Cambodia and you get it the following day. You might want to find out how Vietnam feels about numerous successive visas though. Apr 8 '15 at 5:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.