I have a Chinese visa valid till 20 Dec 2013 (6 months). It is a F visa, which means a business visa. It also is a double entry visa, meaning that I can only enter China twice in the whole 6 months period.

The problem is that I need to enter China three times. I arrived in China on July 10th, I will leave China on July 31st to go to Europe and come back to China on August 17th (here I will already have consumed the second entry). And I need to go from China to Hong-Kong on Augst 24th and back to China on August 30th. Of course this last entry will not be possible with my current visa. What can I do, then?

The only option I can foresee is that on July 31st when I travel to my country, apply for a new Chinese visa (a new double entry visa). This would solve the problem. However, can I apply for a new visa if my visa is still valid and still has one entry left?

If the answer was yes, then it is solved I apply and that is it.

If the answer is no, then, if I had consumed the two entries before the new application, could I apply for a new one? This way, although the visa was still valid in terms of dates, it would not have entries left. If yes, then I can consume the second entry before travelling to Europe and then apply for the new visa.

But if not, what can I do? Can I cancel the visa and apply for a new one? Is there such a thing as cancelation? Or What option is left for me?

One last issue: once I find the way to apply for a new visa in these circumstances, should the new visa be Business or Tourism? I plan to combina both in my second period in China. If for business, could I use the same original letter from the company inviting me to come to China for two months, that I used for the first visa I got? Should I get a new letter from the company? Better to apply for a tourist visa? But if I do that, they could see that in the letter for the original visa the invitation for business was for two months, and now I am applying for a tourist visa for a period that correspond to the one I was supposed to be doing business. Or this really does not matter?

The case is very complex, I feel lost, and action need to be taken immediately as the dates are approaching.

  • Have you tried to contact the Chinese embassy in your country? They'd be the ones to give you a definitive answer. Jul 20 '13 at 18:04
  • I had a 2 times entry visa (L class) with one visit used and needed to change to a Business visa (Z class). The office in HK just cancelled the existing 'L' and issued a new 'Z'
    – user5043
    Dec 23 '13 at 10:13

I have also successfully applied for a new visa while the old one still there in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong is very easy to obtain Chinese visa. Just go to a travel agency, I paid around 150 HK dollars and I get a new visa in two days.


I have successfully applied for a new tourist visa while holding an old one. As it turned out the old visa had a few minutes left on it when we arrived, the passport official simply cancelled it at that point (entries didn't matter as these were multi-entry visas.)

While I have never had either a double-entry or a F visa I would expect things to work the same.

  • Thanks Loren, as I see the official was aware that you had a visa still valid. Did you have to fill a form to cancel it, or he/she simply told you that was going to cancel it and that is it. It seems that there s light at the end of the tunnel. Was yours a Chinese visa as well?
    – Jaume
    Jul 19 '13 at 17:30
  • @Jaume Of course it was China, why else would I reply? I did nothing special at the time of application (although it went through a visa agent, something that's basically required in the US due to them playing tit-for-tat), when we got to passport control I saw the official mark off the old visa. I'm not aware of any comment about this although he could have said something to my wife that I wouldn't have understood. Jul 20 '13 at 17:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.