I am currently an undergraduate student in India, and I have been invited in the summer for a research collaboration (technically a summer internship) to a German institute. I have been provided with a scholarship contract, and an invite letter, but no Bundesagentur für Arbeit. I have been instructed by the supervisor to apply under the guest scientist/researcher category, but does that apply to me?

Additionally, I applied earlier in the month under the student internship category and got rejected - would it be okay for me to change categories and submit the same documents?

  • "I have been instructed by the supervisor" Better get on the program early. You temporary boss says do something, you do it...
    – user138870
    Commented May 29 at 2:57
  • You are invited to research collaboration so guest researcher seems appropriate. But for the final question: your application was rejected: what they wrote? Same document? Check the documents you need to provide: different category may requires different documents. -- take it as part of your research project: many researchers need to find out permissions/documents/etc. (and immigration part is the most easy because it is much more documented: not only researchers need them). Commented May 29 at 7:05
  • What was the reason for the earlier refusal? Submitting the same documents for a new category visa application as you did for a recently refused application sounds like a recipe for another refusal to me.
    – Traveller
    Commented May 29 at 7:41
  • Rejection and refusal are two different things @Traveller Commented May 29 at 7:44
  • @GiacomoCatenazzi it was rejected on the basis of the lack of work permit. I am an undergraduate with no degree, and limited research experience, hence the most applicable category seems to be internship/training visa.
    – S.K.
    Commented May 29 at 8:52

1 Answer 1


Visa rejections and refusals are two different things. Your visa rejection clearly means that the category you applied was not valid for you hence your application was not complete , as instructed by your peer, you should be applying for guest scientist / visiting scholar if you satisfy these conditions

Does this category apply to you?

  • If you intend to do PhD or PostDoc studies in Germany and have obtained a work contract as “student assistant” or “scientific assistant” (“studentische Hilfskraft”), please refer to the information on studies visa.

  • If a Bachelor Degree is your highest academic qualification, please hand in your work contract instead of a hosting agreement.

Source Germany Official Link

  • I don’t have a bachelor’s degree, so I assume I do not fall under this category at all.
    – S.K.
    Commented May 29 at 8:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .