My friend is traveling from Jordan to Canada with me. We will stop 6 hours in Greece for transit.During this time we would like to visit Athens.

He is a Jordanian citizen. We checked the website and found a few types of visas:

  1. Transit visa
  2. Tourist visa

Which one is the best in our case?

  • 3
    With the hassle and possibility of you missing the onward flight, or your transit time getting shorter due to delay in incoming flight, I suggest to skip the visit. Plan a proper trip. Commented May 14 at 6:43
  • I seriously doubt you have time to do this. You need to deplane, clear Immigration, collect your baggage, re-check your baggage for your onward flight, clear security, and get to your gate before it closes (30-60 mins before departure). You’d need 30-60mins to get to Athens city centre, depending on your mode of transport. Even if your baggage is checked through to Canada, you’d have a couple of hours at most of stressed time running around Athens hoping there’s no traffic issues that would delay your return to the airport
    – Traveller
    Commented May 14 at 7:34
  • 1
    @Traveller it is not usually necessary to collect and re-check bags unless the two flights were bought separately.
    – phoog
    Commented May 14 at 13:39
  • @phoog Yes, I know, that’s why my comment mentions ‘baggage checked through’. The OP doesn’t state whether they’re booked through or self-transferring (or will only have carry on bags).
    – Traveller
    Commented May 14 at 13:58

1 Answer 1


To enter any of the Schengen countries you need a visit visa. That does include Greece.

This is however short the visit is, even if you only need to collect your luggage you need a full visit visa.

Transit visa only allow for staying in the international part of the airport for those who need them.

  • 2
    To avoid confusion, EU pages use the name airport transit visa. Other countries have more liberal transit visa, which may confuse people. So... one need a short stay visa also to transit from a ferry to the airport. Commented May 14 at 6:31
  • 1
    @GiacomoCatenazzi not only to avoid confusion but also because there was formerly a type B "transit visa" that more closely resembled the "traditional" transit visa, as it was for travelers who were planning to clear Schengen entry controls for the purpose of transit. I presume that experience showed the distinction between this and a regular "short stay" to be unimportant in practice and that this is the reason for their having abolished type B visas. Such travelers have needed a type C short-stay visa ever since.
    – phoog
    Commented May 14 at 13:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .