Can I use an inheritance will to show evidence of ties to my home country?

I am a student and need to go for a short-study visit visa and am finding it hard to show ties to my home country. Obviously as a student I am financially dependent on my parents, and don't have a job or property or dependents of my own. I am only child too. This short study lab course of 3 days (I applied for a 6 day visa) is a condition for me to pursue my Bachelors at a UK university and I have a conditional offer letter from them (this being one of the conditions) and a partial scholarship. I am planning to include both of these. I have been studying online with Open University and doing the courses all of which are part of the condition. I am including sponsorship from my father and his bank statements etc. There is more than 20 times the amount I need for this visit. I have also shown proof that I live in my parents house and proof that they own it.

My previous visa application was rejected because of 2 reasons.

  • One being that I had only proved my enrollment in the lab school but not the fact that it is a condition or that I have a conditional offer or scholarship. I had also not shown that I am studying 2 of the 5 conditional courses and have completed 2 previously last year.
  • The second reason was that they couldn't see an intent to return. I had included my mother's bank statement, my birth certificate and a letter from her showing her sponsorship.Visa refusal

Visa refusal letter

  • 2
    In most cases you get en inheritance no matter where you are, and people have been known to give up sums of money, so the inheritance needs to be a large sum with some rather unusual conditions (and you need a lawyer to say whether those hold up, and I'm not a lawyer) attached. Commented May 13 at 13:53
  • Apply for an education program that is long term then this condition of intent of return and all this won’t apply on you Commented May 14 at 14:25

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately I see zero probability of UKVI accepting an inheritance will as sufficient proof of ties.

  • You do not need to be present in your home country (Pakistan, based on the reference to PKR in the refusal letter) to inherit.
  • You’re demonstrating immigrant intent because your visit purpose is a precursor to plans to study in the UK. Unfair as it may seem, UKVI may well conclude that you would just choose to overstay.
  • Pakistan is a high risk immigration country.
  • The UK is tightening up on immigration levels in general, including student routes.
  • I do need to be present in Pakistan to apply for a student visa (it is stated on their website). Also what if I ask my parents to transfer the property to my name? Would that help?
    – Duaa Ahmed
    Commented May 13 at 14:26
  • No, IMHO. Property can be managed from afar, it’s not a compelling reason to leave the UK
    – Traveller
    Commented May 13 at 14:28
  • So what can a person in my situation do? I mean they have made this just impossible! I wouldn't be able to go the university this way
    – Duaa Ahmed
    Commented May 13 at 14:29
  • 1
    I would look for another way of fulfilling the conditions to pursue a Bachelors in the UK. For example, completing a lab course in Pakistan, or in another country that you could visit more easily than the UK
    – Traveller
    Commented May 13 at 14:52
  • 2
    Not at all to the same extent. Student visa eligibility/suitability is more about the applicant’s credibility as a student, their ability to support themselves financially etc
    – Traveller
    Commented May 13 at 15:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .