Can an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit be used in place of a standard visitor visa to visit family in the UK, if you qualify for it?

  • It's listed as an option for coming to the UK in the gov.uk wizard.
  • The language around it suggests that it's meant as a precursor to applying for pre-settled status.

1 Answer 1


Yes. From EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit and Travel Permit

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) family permit is an entry clearance which facilitates travel to and entry into the UK of an eligible family member of a relevant European Economic Area (EEA) citizen or (where an application was made by 8 August 2023) of a qualifying British citizen.

The family permit enables the holder to join in, or accompany to, the UK their relevant EEA citizen or qualifying British citizen.

Where an EUSS family permit is issued, it will be valid for a period of 6 months from the date of decision on the application.

The holder can enter the UK as many times as they wish during that period.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .