Can a US citizen apply for a Philippines passport to get out of the Philippines even if overstaying? Or is there a chance, if I apply for a Philippines passport, that the penalty will be lower?

  • 17
    If you are not a Philippines citizen and apply for a Philippines passport, the fine for your overstay will be the least of your worries. Commented Feb 14 at 7:12
  • 9
    It's hard to answer this question coherently, since passports are a form of ID, not something used to give permission to stay in a country. Maybe you meant to ask a question about Visas?
    – Brian
    Commented Feb 14 at 14:34

2 Answers 2


If you are a Philippines citizen, you are legally entitled to stay in the Philippines as long as you like and cannot "overstay", regardless of what passport you used to enter.

If you are already a citizen with documentation to prove it, you're fine and should definitely get a Philippines passport.

If you are not officially recognized as a citizen but have the right to be recognized as one through parents/birth/etc, you should also be fine, but you need to sort out your paperwork ASAP.

However, if you are not a citizen and need to apply as a US citizen who wants to naturalize on their own merits, overstaying is almost certainly going to be a blocker.

  • 3
    Not knowing the Ops situation but some information on the Philipines Nationality Law may help. In summary: Any person born to at least one Filipino parent receives Philippine citizenship at birth. "Foreign nationals may naturalize as Philippine citizens after meeting a minimum residence requirement (usually 10 years), acquiring real estate, demonstrating proficiency in either English or Spanish as well as a Philippine language, and fulfilling a good character requirement. "
    – bvanlew
    Commented Feb 14 at 15:09

I assume that you are a former PH citizen who became naturalised as a US citizen, therefore had renounce PH citizenship, and still haven't done the requisite steps to "re-acquire" the latter.

Therefore as of the moment, legally speaking you are only a US citizen, a foreigner in the PH.

Thus I believe, nope, since you are illegally in the country.

  • 2
    What context? How come 'safely assume'. You have to be very careful answering questions about visa, citizenship and alike. I suggest you at least edit it to 'I assume' and at the same time clear up the last line, nope is not a good word to use. Edit, I have since edited the answer but it should be improved more.
    – Willeke
    Commented Jun 15 at 7:04
  • 1
    The wording of the first sentence could be improved e.g. by simplifying it to: "If you are a former ...". Otherwise, it seems a reasonable answer and covers one possible case. A perfect answer isn't possible without more information from the OP.
    – badjohn
    Commented Jun 15 at 10:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .