I lost my Greek residency card while I am in Belgium. Can I travel using the Greek Refugee Passport?

comment from OP:
My residency is valid, but my residency card was in my wallet and stolen from me

  • 4
    You lost your residency card, or your actual residency?
    – ajd
    Commented Feb 7 at 0:17
  • 1
    Is this what you understand as a 'Greek Blue Passport'?: Council of the European Union - PRADO - GRC-JO-03001: Travel document pursuant to the Convention of 28 July 1951, issued to persons having refugee status in Greece. Commented Feb 7 at 3:35
  • Please clarify your specific problem or provide additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking.
    – Community Bot
    Commented Feb 7 at 5:12
  • 2
    And where do you wish to travel to?
    – jcaron
    Commented Feb 7 at 8:26
  • 1
    Have you reported the loss to the police? They should issue an confirmation that can be shown when required. Commented Feb 7 at 12:43

1 Answer 1


I'm going to make some assumptions here. Please let me know if any are incorrect.


  • your Greek residence permit was in your wallet when it was stolen in Belgium
  • you have a refugee travel document issued by Greece


  • you are still in Belgium
  • you want to travel to Greece without leaving the Schengen area


You can travel to Greece with your refugee passport alone.

More detail:

As noted in the comments, you might need a visa to enter non-Schengen countries, so if you plan to leave the Schengen area (including in transit) you will need to check the visa requirements. As far as the Schengen area is concerned, your Greek refugee travel document is sufficient because it establishes under international law that Greece has granted you the right to return to Greece.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .