We are travelling to Egypt on Sunday. My Wife is a Canadian/British citizen with a Canadian passport, but has the indefinite right of entry in it. Will she be able to get a visa on entry in Sharm El-Sheikh?

  • 1
    Indefinite right of entry to where? The UK? Commented Jan 5 at 23:02
  • Egyptian embassy in Ottawa announces new visa requirement for Canadian nationals effective 1 October 2023 On 7 September 2023, the Egyptian embassy in Ottawa announced that effective 1 October 2023, Canadian passport holders will be required to obtain entry visas from an Egyptian embassy or consulate before traveling to Egypt. They will no longer be able to obtain e-visas prior to travel or visas on arrival in Egypt. Consult Egypt's visa policies. Commented Jan 5 at 23:11
  • @WeatherVane That sounds like an answer. Commented Jan 6 at 5:15
  • It does and doesn’t really? Yes Canadian as said but she’s also a British citizen she uses her Canadian passport which has a right of abode stamp and states that a British citizen can use another passport from another country to travel if they are of dual citizenship so going back to my unanswered question would she get a VOA if she were to go to Egypt as she is a British citizen and allowed by law to use her Canadian passport to travel as a British citizen?
    – Lespez
    Commented Jan 6 at 8:19
  • 2
    If she is using a Canadian passport to travel to Egypt then she is travelling as a Canadian citizen, obviously. If she wants to travel as a British citizen she would use her British passport. Above, it says Canadian passport holders. Commented Jan 6 at 10:30

1 Answer 1


So, British citizens get visa-free in Sharm El-Sheikh, whereas Canadian citizens don't. If she wants to travel visa-free to Sharm El-Sheikh, she will have to use her British passport, at least when passing through Immigration, in and out, in Egypt.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .