I have an Italian passport and I want to go to the USA with my husband, but he holds an African passport. What are the requirements? We actually live in the UK and he holds a biometric permit.

  • 2
    What passport exactly does your husband have? Commented Dec 16, 2023 at 23:18
  • 4
    @lambshaanxy it doesn't matter. There is no African country in the US visa waiver program.
    – phoog
    Commented Dec 16, 2023 at 23:25

1 Answer 1


Assuming you want to visit for tourism, to see friends or family, or for similar personal reasons, your husband will need a B-2 visa (or a combination B-1/B-2 visa). Because you are an Italian citizen, you can use the visa waiver program if you meet the other criteria (including that your visit is not longer than 90 days), are not disqualified (for example because of travel to Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 or to Cuba on or after January 12, 2021), and have an approved ESTA. Your being eligible for ESTA doesn't affect your husband's needing a visa, nor does his UK residence permit.

If the purpose of your visit is something other than "business or pleasure" then both you and your husband will need a visa, of some type other than B-1 or B-2.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .