I am travelling from India to Canada and I have a stopover in Japan, where I will be changing airports. Landing in HND, flying from NRT. I have an Indian passport and I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident.

I was told different scenarios by different people, so I'm not sure what to believe. My next steps are to call the embassy.

Do I need a transit visa?

Update: I cannot apply for eVisa as it is a travel visa and I need a transit visa, which has to be applied in person. I am waiting to see if Japan Airlines will offer me a shore Pass on the spot.


1 Answer 1


I'm not an immigration lawyer nor expert on Japanese nor Indian visa policies, but:

  • India is not on the list of visa exempt countries.
  • HND to NRT is anything but a sterile airside transfer, you very much need to enter the country and use the public transport system.

Ergo: looks to me like you very much need a visa.

The most applicable visa for your case would probably be a tourism visa, which has fairly benign requirements in your case:

  • You need a proof of planned entry and departure flights, which is what this is all about anyway.
  • You need to provide your intended itinerary, which is very straight forward.
  • You need proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses, which will be about ¥1,600 if you take the Keikyū line.

Your Canadian residency does entitle you to applying for an eVisa, which should simplify the process even more.

  • 5
    I think their Canadian residency should help in getting an e-visa for Japan, as described on mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html? "All foreign nationals/people who reside in the following countries/region and are required to obtain a short-term visa on visiting Japan are eligible to apply for a visa online from March 27, 2023. Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Mongolia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, U.S.A." Commented Nov 27, 2023 at 10:32
  • 1
    Thank you, what an oversight. Corrected the information.
    – deceze
    Commented Nov 27, 2023 at 11:09
  • Thanks all this was super helpful.
    – IamButtman
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 7:15
  • Did eVisa work? Or did you need to get the Transit visa? Transit visa is more cumbersome because of the requirement for sending paper.
    – Vibgy
    Commented May 25 at 20:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .