I'm an Indonesian passport holder, working in Ireland under critical skill Stamp 1. I'm planning a trip to Australia from 15 December to around 14 January. The problem is I'm currently trying to get Stamp 4 in Ireland, currently waiting for a letter of support. Best case scenario, I might be able to get a Stamp 4 appointment around mid November. My current Stamp 1 had an extension until 1st January.

The question is, can I apply for an Australia tourist visa now for my trip, using my current Stamp 1? I'm afraid if I'm waiting for my Stamp 4, the visa won't make it in time.

  • Do you mean that your Irish visa does not permit you to stay past 1 January?
    – jcm
    Oct 23, 2023 at 10:54
  • Yes, my current Irish visa expires on 1st January. I'm in the process of getting Stamp 4 Irish visa, which if I do get it will allow me to stay on the country until at least 2025. The earliest I can get this Stamp 4 visa is around mid November.
    – Indo kid
    Oct 24, 2023 at 4:53
  • Is your concern what to enter as your current residence?
    – jcm
    Oct 24, 2023 at 10:46
  • My question is can I apply now with my current Stamp 1 for a trip from 15 December to 14 January? Or do I need to wait for my Stamp 4 go through later on November, then apply for tourist visa
    – Indo kid
    Oct 24, 2023 at 18:40
  • Why do you think you won't be able to apply? Sorry for all the questions I'm trying to get at where you think the difficulty is.
    – jcm
    Oct 24, 2023 at 23:15

1 Answer 1


You can apply for a visa with your Stamp 1.

When asked your visa status answer truthfully and explain as best you can. The immi online form probably has it too but the paper one has the following questions:

What is your legal status in your current location?

What is the purpose of your stay in your current location and what is your visa status?

The first one has options to tick while the second provides space for a brief explanation. There may be other related questions on the form so go over it carefully.

As to whether that will have any impact on your application and whether it would be better to wait for your Stamp 4 I cannot say.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .