Can my friend drive from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC and back with a Nevada-issued REAL ID?

2 Answers 2


No. Driving into Canada is possible with enhanced driver license, but Nevada doesn't issue those. EDL is not the same as Real ID.

  • Right. According to wikipedia, only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington currently issue EDLs and Ohio recently passed a bill to do so, but hasn't started issuing them yet.
    – reirab
    Oct 19, 2023 at 19:26
  • 1
    Which happen to be states that border on Canada, with likely a lot of routine cross-border transit on a regular basis.
    – Milwrdfan
    Oct 19, 2023 at 21:51

To enter Canada in the first place, you will need proper documentation of citizenship in the US. That is best proved by having a valid Passport or Passport Card. cic.gc.ca

If your Nevada-issued Real ID is also a Nevada State Driver's License, and you have proof of insurance, then you should be fine to drive within Canada. usa.gov

The Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) is a program that was intended to provide both proof of citizenship and driving license. Canada has stopped issuing EDLs, and only a handful of states issue EDLs. dhs.gov and ontario.ca

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .