I am a UK refugee travel document holder, and I want to travel to Denmark. "Convention of 28th July 1951" is written on the back of my travel document.

I am going through Denmark in order to transit to go to Germany. Do I need to apply for a Schengen visa? What else do I need to travel in Denmark?

  • 1
    Does this answer your question? Can I travel to Denmark with UK refugee travel documents? Commented Oct 14, 2023 at 23:51
  • 2
    @DavidRecallsMonica the answers there are largely pre-Brexit and out-of-date.
    – mlc
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 6:16
  • 3
    @mlc That means it’s time to add new answers and edit old ones. It doesn’t mean the question isn’t a duplicate.
    – Sneftel
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 8:19
  • 1
    @Sneftel There’s a discussion on dealing with old questions/information here. Perhaps some very old (5+years?) questions should be closed rather than updated, particularly where the answer has changed significantly? And/or flagged as out-of-date, as the Meta discussion mentions. Very old questions with multiple answers could be confusing/unclear. How, for example, should an ‘accepted answer’ be treated when it becomes incorrect over time? How would a new answer gain prominence over it?
    – Traveller
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 9:53
  • 1
    @mlc Thanks, you're quite right. I've withdrawn my VTC. Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 21:24

1 Answer 1


According to IATA you need a visa.

Visa required.

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa: Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least DKK 350.- per day of intended stay).

Warning: Visas for travel to the Faroe Isl. and/or Greenland are required to be endorsed "Valid for the Faroe Islands", "Valid for Greenland" or "Valid for the Faroe Islands and Greenland".

  • If OP is passing through Denmark in transit on the way to Germany, should they not be checking the visa requirements for Germany rather than Denmark?
    – The Photon
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 17:59
  • @ThePhoton My answer is based on inputting Germany as the destination and Denmark as transit into the IATA site, however the OP can check for themselves using the link.
    – Traveller
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 18:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .