Indian here with a single-entry Schengen tourist visa. I'm planning to visit Iceland (first port of entry) then Europe with a connecting flight via the UK (non-Schengen). Can I travel between Iceland and Europe with a connecting flight in the UK and still roam around Europe or will I be stamped out and not allowed into Europe?

  • 1
    Are you transiting via the UK with a single ticket? Which airport? Oct 8, 2023 at 3:54
  • 8
    If that is your plan, you should say so in the visa application and get a double/multiple entry visa. Unless you already have the visa and now plan to add some sightseeing.
    – o.m.
    Oct 8, 2023 at 5:54
  • 1
    @lambshaanxy while it's always better when questioners provide more info, in this case I don't think there's any answer to your questions that could change the answer.
    – mlc
    Oct 8, 2023 at 6:26
  • 5
    @lambshaanxy even if on a single ticket, OP will be stamped out when they leave Iceland and shouldn’t be allowed back in Schengen.
    – jcaron
    Oct 8, 2023 at 9:25
  • 5
    @lambshaanxy and others thanks so I need to take direct fight from iceland to Europe or get at least double entry schengen visa
    – RadiumBall
    Oct 8, 2023 at 12:36

1 Answer 1


Do not do this.

If you travel Schengen to Schengen via Non-Schengen what will happen is the following:

  • You will get a Schengen exit stamp in Iceland, as you are exiting the Schengen Area.
  • You will thus have used up your single entry, and can not reenter.
  • As a result, in the UK you will be refused boarding for your next flight, and will be put on the next flight to India.

A few Indian collegues of mine had exactly that happen to them. They were spending two weeks in Sweden on business, and decided they wanted to take advantage of the weekend to see Prague (indeed, why not?). But they booked a flight via Kyiv, as that was cheapest, and ended up back in India earlier than expected...

  • 1
    @lambshaanxy The current TWOV rules only refer to ‘D’ visas/residence permits, and a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa; unless I’m missing something a ‘C’ visa isn’t listed within the exemptions gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/no
    – Traveller
    Oct 8, 2023 at 10:31
  • 7
    @RadiumBall "just as non-schengen to non-schengen connection in a schengen country is possible without schengen transit visa, schengen to schengen in a non-schengen should be allowed too": Some people do need transit visas in the Schengen area when changing from a non-Schengen arrival to a non-Schengen departure, including Indian citizens in certain Schengen countries. Similarly, the UK also requires some people in transit to have a transit visa even if they do not intend to clear passport controls.
    – phoog
    Oct 8, 2023 at 14:34
  • 3
    @RadiumBall Unless you fulfil one of the TWOV exemptions (which as far as I can tell you do not), you will need a visa to transit the UK, whether that’s airside or not. A Schengen ‘C’ visa doesn’t allow Indian citizens to transit the UK.
    – Traveller
    Oct 8, 2023 at 14:59
  • 2
    @RadiumBall I doubt that your Schengen visa is a "Schengen ADS visa." ADS stands for "approved destination status," which is a program facilitating Chinese group tourism to member states. Your question implies that you are not traveling as part of a Chinese tour group.
    – phoog
    Oct 9, 2023 at 10:23
  • 4
    @RadiumBall "what happens if ..." Krist has written it in black and white ".. will be put on the next flight to India" as happened to his colleagues. (I lived in India for some years and indeed, exactly this has also happened to Indian colleagues I know!) Take care about "emailing the airline", you're dealing with a min. wage employee who knows nothing and is googling timatic results. you can not go through the UK, it's very simple. It's surprising your colleagu4es haven't pointed this out as it's a very basic 'gotchya" known to all Indianms who do biz.
    – Fattie
    Oct 9, 2023 at 10:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .