Can I enter the US with a one way ticket? I have a B1/B2 visa but I’m not staying in the US. I’m a university student and I’m traveling to my college in Europe. I did not buy a return as I’m not sure when I would be returning. I’m basically just transiting through JFK for a few hours before my flight leaves for Europe. Would a one way ticket be okay in this instance?


1 Answer 1


You don't need specifically a return ticket, but an onward ticket, ie a ticket that shows you will be leaving the US within the limit of stay of your visa. Your ticket to Europe serves that purpose.

  • 1
    It's not applicable in this case, but for others, if you're travelling to Canada or Mexico via the US, then you also have to have a ticket to leave Canada and Mexico, unless you are a citizen of either, or have a long-term visa / permanent residency, or a ticket out of US/Canada/Mexico
    – CSM
    Commented Oct 8, 2023 at 15:16
  • Actually you don't even need that. A return/onward ticket is NOT a requirement for entering with a B1/B2 visa (although it is when entering using VWP)
    – Doc
    Commented Jan 5 at 17:55
  • This answer is incorrect. An onward ticket is a statutory requirement for travel under the visa waiver program. There is no such requirement for travel with a B visa.
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 6 at 4:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .