A few years ago I traveled to America under a different name to my birth name and had my fingerprints and retina scan taken I’ve since changed my name back to my birth name will this cause me a problem in returning to America

  • 6
    What is it "America"? Just US? Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 11:53
  • 4
    What is your citizenship, what were your access credentials (Visa, Esta, Residence Permit) and what country in America are we talking about.
    – Hilmar
    Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 11:59
  • 7
    hey, come on, nobody and i mean NOBODY says "America" to mean "the combination of North and South America." It's actually offensive when people pretend someone might be referring to Canada. Don't do that. Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 14:01
  • 4
    @KateGregory well native Anglophones use US and America interchangeably but speakers of Spanish sometimes differentiate. I agree the OP has an Anglo username so it is all Lombard Street to a China orange they mean the US.
    – mdewey
    Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 15:23
  • 7
    @Blueriver trust me, I know that Canada is not the only country in the world. Your comment isn't helpful or useful Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 22:09

1 Answer 1


If you are open about the name change and that you have been in the USA, and under which name, the fact you changed your name is not a problem.

If you broke rules and would not be allowed under your previous name you have a very big chance you will not be allowed this time.
If you try to hide your previous visit and are found out on that a ban is likely and that will affect more than 'just' travel to the USA as many countries do not trust people who got a ban to enter a country.

With the USA you can or have to apply for a visa and if you are honest in the application you run little risk when travelling, but the USA does not guarantee you are allowed in with a visa.

While I have answered for the USA, in most countries it will work the same, only it is not always possible to apply for a visa when you come from a country of which the citizens do not usually need a visa. But in most countries it is that if you have a visa you are good to get in unless you did not disclose the name change and previous visit.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .