There are already several questions on this site regarding travel with a minor and only one parent, but I don't think this specific situation has already been covered:

My wife, me, and our minor child live in Germany, but we're currently on vacation in the US (we traveled there together). It turns out that I will be traveling back to Germany alone with our child (my wife will be returning a few days later than us). Our child is a dual US/German citizen. We'll be traveling with Icelandair, changing planes in Iceland (that is, we'll re-enter the Schengen area in Iceland).

Which additional documents do we need for that? So far, we have a parental consent form signed by my wife, and our child's birth certificate (which proves that my wife is indeed the mother). Will that suffice or do we need anything else?

  • 2
    You'll be fine. My wife and I have travelled with our 3 kids between the US and Germany in any possible permutation dozens of time with just our normal travel documentation (passports, green cards, etc). We never carried a consent letter or birth certificates etc. and no one ever asked for anything.
    – Hilmar
    Oct 2, 2023 at 0:37
  • @Hilmar do the five of you have the same surname(s)?
    – phoog
    Oct 2, 2023 at 8:36

1 Answer 1


Which additional documents do we need for that?

Nothing, with that form you're even better off than most

  • So, yeah, that was a huge nothingburger. US TSA check didn't care at all. The Icelandic officer asked me where the mother was, but didn't want to see any documents. Oct 15, 2023 at 20:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .