I have a resident permit of Schengen country X.

I entered Schengen directly from X with stamp from X.

I take a bus to another Schengen country and leave Schengen from there without a stamp.

I come back to X from a Schengen country that doesn't stamp.

There are no other stamps on the passport for that period.

Will X know I was not in the country? They would know if they really want to know but I'm talking about normal circumstances. Asking for residence permit renewal and citizenship application.

  • 7
    The only reason to want to know if a country knows something or not is to know whether it is safe to lie about that or not. And we don't advise people how to break laws and regulations by lying, or at least not in general (there have been a few questions about hiding one trip from one country for very specific country pairs where it is not illegal or against regulations to hide that trip.) If you're planning to say you were in X for longer than you were, don't do that. Sep 24 at 23:50
  • No, it is automatic. I don't need to say anything. They might ask for proof of stay but that's irrelevant to this post. So, please stay on the topic. Sep 25 at 0:24
  • 7
    When you apply for renewal or citizenship you're expected to truthfully report your travel history. What does it matter to you in this situation whether the country X already knows what you're reporting? You're still required to report it.
    – littleadv
    Sep 25 at 1:01
  • The procedure differs by country or even its subdivisions (e.g. different Swiss cantons or different Ausländerbehörden in German states). In general, most governments impose the burden of proof on an applicant to justify their claims.
    – xngtng
    Sep 25 at 7:54
  • Like I said earlier, there's no reporting requirement. If they don't think you met the conditions (aka your profile seems weird), then and ONLY THEN burden of proof is on you. Sep 25 at 13:38

1 Answer 1


Assume 'they' don't want to know exactly when residents leave and enter and for how long.

This will not change when the Entry/Exit System (EES) comes into force, after which there will be no more passports stamps.

Article 2(3) of REGULATION (EU) 2017/2226 excludes residents who have a residence permit card or a residence card with them when leaving or entering.

  • Sorry I'm a little confused by your point. Can you rephrase? Sep 25 at 13:36
  • @kamksmdkasdm Since they do not collect information when residents leave or enter, they are not interested. They are only interested in visitors, which is why you must show (with the residence permit card or a residence card) that you are not a visitor. Sep 25 at 16:25
  • 1
    @kamksmdkasdm But we don't know whether they look at other data in assessing the veracity of any statements you might make concerning your presence or to assess your travel history regardless of whether you've made any statements. They could be looking at all sorts of things, and they might not be looking at any of them. We just don't know, and it's probably not possible to find out definitively.
    – phoog
    Sep 25 at 19:49
  • 1
    @kamksmdkasdm Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean with 'Can I appear as I am in Schengen country'. You may travel, as a resident of one Schengen country, to other Schengen countries with your passport and residence permit card and they do not care if there are no stamps in your passport. Sep 25 at 21:01
  • 1
    @kamksmdkasdm “Can I appear as I am in Schengen country” is grammatically incorrect and therefore makes no sense. Do you mean “Can I appear as if I were in a Schengen country”?
    – Traveller
    Sep 25 at 22:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .