For the sake of this question I need to distinguish between different skin colors.
TL/DR: Together with my girlfriend, I am visiting South Africa in October 2023. We both are European citizens in our late 20's, and we both are white. How safe is it for us to visit? I am not talking about safety issues like pickpockets or similar. I am talking about serious crimes like murder or rape.
Long version: We have been planning this trip for quite some time now and are looking forward to it already. We know that South Africa is not the safest place on Earth. You can find a few hundred internet pages describing how people got robbed, cars got stolen and so on. That's why we always tried to plan the trip to be as safe as possible. This includes:
- choosing hotels with good reviews in "good"/safe areas
- booking mostly guided trips (e.g. Safari, one day in Johannesburg, hiking trips, Cape of Good Hope, ...)
- planning to always be and stay at the hotel when it's dark outside
- staying at tourist hotspots and avoiding "dangerous" zones like townships
- not wearing jewelry or valuable items so that anyone can see
- not leaving baggage unattended in a car or something similar
- not carrying huge amount of cash, so if it really should happen that we get robbed, we give them the money and that's it
Of course there are some parts of the trip which seem more dangerous then others, like self-driving (e.g. JNB to Hazyview or the panorama route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth) or walking around in Cape Town (even though it's only at the tourist hotspots), but we always thought that with the rules above, we should be quite safe. Now in the last few weeks I have read some articles that since COVID the situation there, especially the "hate" between black and white people, got worse. Then there was also the freedom speech by politician Julius Malema a few days ago, in which he calls for genocide for white citizens.
- How safe is South Africa for white people this year?
- How is the situation there; did it get worse for white people?
- Is there a higher risk for serious crimes against white people than it was before?
- Does it seem that the situation there might escalate in the coming months so that the situation could even become worse?