I am an EU citizen about to rent a car in Toronto with Alamo or Hertz and drive to the US East coast. I hold an EU driving license. My understanding is that I don't need an IDP to drive in Ontario and in the US as a visitor (< 3 months). I already got my ESTA approved, but it seems I also need to fill an I-94 form: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1258?language=en_US. Can this be done at the border or it needs to be done beforehand ?

Also, Hertz mentions: It is recommended to have PERS cover when using vehicle in cross border rentals for the USA and Canada. Since I plan to drive to NYC, where there are plenty of tolls, I wonder if it's possible to pay at the booth or it's all linked to the car plate (or a toll system) and then settled with the car rental company ? If so, will the car rental company charge extra fees ?

Finally, after reading this post: Renting a car in the USA — how to know costs for the legal minimum liability insurance, before arriving for pickup?, I would like to know if a rental car in Canada comes with appropriate insurance (similar to the EU) or if I should purchase some extra insurance at the counter.

Thank you!

  • There are many questions here. I'll address the tolls.You should get an EZPass transponder, which will allow you to pay for toll roads, tunnels, bridges, and sometimes parking in many states. Without it, sometimes you will have to look for coins and wait in line to pay toll. Many times, the toll collection system will photograph your car's license number and bill you later, but it will cost a little more that with the transponder. Aug 15, 2023 at 16:56
  • 1
    Also "My understanding is that I don't need an IDP to drive in Ontario and in the US as a visitor" if your foreign license is not printed in English, then you need a certified translation or the IDP. If it is in English, then you don't need either. Source dmv.ny.gov/more-info/resources-non-us-citizens Aug 15, 2023 at 17:01
  • IDK how the Canada/US automated toll roads work (i.e. no payment booths but ANPR), but in UK the rental agency would get a penalty charge if the fee isn't paid by the end of the following day. Aug 15, 2023 at 18:22
  • I don't know if you can actually get this from Hertz in Canada, but Hertz offers Plate Pass for tolls in the US. (I don't know, because that link is to a CA website, but seems to point to a US service)
    – Peter M
    Aug 15, 2023 at 21:00
  • 1
    You also should check with the rental car agency that you're allowed to take their car out of the country. Aug 16, 2023 at 20:51


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .