I am wondering if South Korea accepts I-327 Travel Document (US Re-entry Permit) in lieu of a passport either for visa free travel or for visa issuance purposes. Anyone has the experience?


1 Answer 1


TIMATIC states :

Korea (Rep. of), South - Destination Passport

Passport required.

Passport Exemptions

Passengers with a travel document issued to refugees or stateless persons.

Document Validity

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.

Contrary to some countries (like most EU Members) South Korea doesn't recognize a I-327 with the mention Permit to re-enter as a passport replacement

For visa requirements, US PRs used to have (now paused) a transit visa exemption (going to/from the US only) for 30 days

  • So stateless people and refugees cannot visit South Korea?
    – phoog
    Aug 6 at 19:16
  • @phoog A I-327 is not a I-571 despite using the same booklet, this is for the Re-entry permit variant Aug 6 at 19:17
  • I know that, but this answer says that it's impossible to visit South Korea without a passport.
    – phoog
    Aug 6 at 19:19
  • @phoog I hold neither a professional TIMATIC access nor an ExpertFlyer subscription and this is the habitual shortcoming of the freely available copies of TIMATIC, it doesn't state all exemptions on every query (it states exemptions if relevant for that particular query). Added the relevant exemption manually Aug 6 at 19:24
  • 1
    @sencer: The US doesn't have an "alien's passport". Only Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia have "alien's passports".
    – user102008
    Aug 7 at 15:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .