I am a Filipino citizen with a valid US visa and a Canada eTA. I will fly to Canada as a tourist for a few days. Then from Canada, I will fly to Seattle, USA to join an Alaska Cruise. Disembarkation is also in Seattle, USA. One of the ports in the cruise is Victoria, BC Canada, arrives at 8 pm and departs at 11:59 pm, bound for Seattle, USA. Will my Canada eTA still be valid in the port of Victoria? Or do I need a Canada visa?

After the cruise, I will fly back to Canada for a few days before heading back home.

  • What kind of US visa do you have? Are you a lawful permanent resident of the US? Because Filipino nationals usually need a visa for Canada. How did you get the eTA? Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 18:24
  • I am a Filipino citizen. Canada recently exempted Filipinos on the visa requirement on certain conditions. I met those conditions so was given an eTA valid for 5 years
    – mvib
    Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 18:37
  • I am not a US permanent resident. What I have is a US tourist visa and a Canada eTA
    – mvib
    Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 18:39
  • @DJClayworth Canada recently (last month I think) changed the rules to allow Filipinos with US non-immigrant visas to use eTA instead of needing a visa
    – Midavalo
    Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 19:11
  • Unfortunately, per the answer below, this only applies to flights and visa still needed for cruise ship arrivals
    – Midavalo
    Commented Jul 31, 2023 at 19:14

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, it looks like you'll need a regular visitor's visa for the cruise ship stop. eTA's are multi-entry, but only for arrival by air.

From Canada.ca page on electronic travel authorization: who can apply:

You may be eligible to apply for an eTA (instead of a visitor visa) if you’re a:

  • Citizen from select visa-required countries and you’re travelling to Canada by air.
  • However, you still need visitor visa (not an eTA) when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship.

You should check with the cruise line, but they normally won't allow you to board without a valid visa, even if you don't plan to disembark in Canadian territory.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .