While there are similar questions here and here, the examples of those questions have stronger passports (US & Japan) that either don't require visas or will get them easily/on arrival. I possess a South African passport (which requires a visa to go to pretty much anywhere in the first world) and Greek ID.

I cannot renew my Greek passport due to lack of military conscription exemption (I do not yet qualify for exemption due to not having worked long enough abroad).

If I'd like to travel to any non-Greece member state, will I get through with just an ID if coming from outside the EU? For the sake of example, Romania.

I asked the consulate near me and was directed to this page, which seems to mostly answer "you need to enter with passport, but lacking that have some sort of document proving EU citizenship. You may still be refused". I satisfy that with a Greek ID but with the caveat I could still be refused So it's a large vague "it depends", and I'm hoping someone here will have a more concrete answer.

This question comes from distrust - I've seen frequent discrimination for South African passports during international travel, so even with "EU ID backup" I may still have issues in transit.

  • Is the greek ID still valid?
    – o.m.
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 16:49
  • @o.m. Yes. As far as I'm aware Greek IDs do not expire. At the least, I'm sure I can renew that one. Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 17:40
  • What part of the page you linked to leads you to the conclusion "you need to enter with passport, but lacking that have some sort of document proving EU citizenship. You may still be refused"? Some contrary quotes from that page include "carrying either a valid passport or a national identity card"; "must also show a valid passport or ID card if you travel between a Schengen country and Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland or Romania"; and "recommended to have the correct travel documents (passport or ID card) in your possession."
    – phoog
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 19:32
  • 3
    It's NOT a large vague "it depends". You can enter Romania on your Greek ID, end of story.
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jul 20, 2023 at 21:51
  • 1
    @CMircea Perhaps my example was misworded - I am definitely not travelling internally in the EU here. Yes, the only thing left here is sorting out transiting countries. I suppose a direct flight with e.g. KLM would work to get direct EU entry. I've also sent some queries out to other airlines to see what their policies are. Emirates sort of said it's fine. Doesn't inspire much confidence, but there are definitely options. Commented Jul 24, 2023 at 19:08

1 Answer 1


Greek ID

You can enter any EU/EEA (or Switzerland) with a EU ID card

EU states :

As an EU national, you have the right to travel freely in the 27 EU member countries as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland (non-EU countries but members of the Schengen area) carrying either a valid passport or a national identity card (ID).

What you may encounter is the departure/transit country requiring a passport to allow you to leave, in this case, show both at the airline desk and the passport at exit immigration

  • Thank you. Airline & Transit airport checks are also a concern here, I'll have to check with them what their policies are. Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 5:13
  • Just present both SA passport and Greek ID @TheCapeGreek, if you have correctly declared your dual citizenship to SA, you'll have no issues Commented Jul 21, 2023 at 5:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .