I have a 6 hour layover in San Francisco on my way to Canada. Do I need USA VISA ?If yes which type of visa do I need and How do I apply that ?

  • 4
    No one can answer this since you haven't supplied your citizenship. Please add that information into your question. (Press Edit) Jul 12, 2023 at 8:40
  • 3
    If you need a visa for entering the US you (almost always) also need one for a layover of any length of time.
    – Willeke
    Jul 12, 2023 at 9:10
  • As a note, learn to use the tool in the link in my answer. It'll save you from having to ask similar questions :]
    – Ozzy
    Jul 12, 2023 at 9:14
  • BART comes right into the international terminal and goes downtown or the Mission. Lovely city, best food this side of Paris. But bring a jacket, it's chilly in many parts of the City! Jul 13, 2023 at 18:55

1 Answer 1


Given that you asked a question about Japan where you say that you are an Indian citizen, I will assume the same for this answer.

  • Assuming the following:
  • Origin: India
  • Destination: Canada
  • Transit: SFO
  • Citizenship: Indian

In short, yes you need a US visa for a transit through a US airport. You can apply for a C visa (transit) or a regular visitor visa (B1/B2). Either way, you WILL have to pass through US CBP immigration inspection even on a simple transit on your way to another country. You need to contact the closest US representation in your country/area and apply for the appropriate visa through them. No one here can tell you how to do that better than the authority itself. See below for requirements (provided by United Airlines' tool)

Note: You will also need to meet entry requirements for Canada (visa).

USA transit Indian citizen

  • 4
    +1, but I would advise the OP to find flights that don't connect via the US, it would save them a lot of hassle. All major East Asian airlines fly direct to Canada. Jul 12, 2023 at 9:47
  • @lambshaanxy Absolutely agree it's better to avoid the hassle, but that wasn't part of their question so I omitted it.
    – Ozzy
    Jul 12, 2023 at 9:49
  • Note that some consulates have waiting time of 2 years or more to get an appointment for a visa, even for a transit visa. So yes, an alternative routing is probably a good idea.
    – jcaron
    Jul 12, 2023 at 10:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .