I am planning a trip to Ireland, and I am from a country that does not require a visa.

My trip duration will be 6 to 7 days. My partner will be paying for most of the trip, but they are also a tourist in Ireland (from the US). However, we will not be entering the country with the same flight.

If I have the plane ticket and accommodation already paid for, how much money will I need to prove to immigration that I have enough funds to not become a burden on the state


1 Answer 1


There is no set amount. Although you are a non-visa national, in order to satisfy any questions from Immigration officials on your arrival, you can still use the same documents a visa applicant would need to provide. This would include having with you, for example:

  • an itinerary
  • proof of accommodation
  • bank statements


Since you’re relying on your partner for most of the expenses, you should get a letter from them confirming how much the trip is expected to cost and how much they are contributing. It may also be best to book a flight that arrives after your partner’s flight. That way you can either meet up and clear Immigration together, or he/she will already have cleared border control and will be contactable landside if needed.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .