Will my expired ID Card work? I also have an expired passport to show and have birth certificate with state seal and SS card.

  • 6
    I'm guessing for USA, is that correct?
    – Midavalo
    Commented May 14, 2023 at 3:12
  • 2
    How long ago did your expired passport expire?
    – mlc
    Commented May 14, 2023 at 6:55
  • 1
    You probably need only expired passport to get the new one. Commented May 14, 2023 at 11:37
  • Reply to Midavalo-YES Commented May 14, 2023 at 20:31
  • reply to mlc 1 year 2 months ago Commented May 14, 2023 at 20:33

2 Answers 2


The DoS states :

Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority. You must submit one of the following documents:

  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    Lists your full name date of birth, and place of birth
    Lists your parent(s)' full names
    Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    Has the registrar's signature Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

A State ID is not a citizenship proof of any means (99% of them don't even state your citizenship, this is excepted Enhanced DLs, but while they are valid for travel, they aren't a citizenship proof)

You can submit either your expired passport or your Birth Certificate

From @Dimitry Vulis in the comments :

Afditionally, if you're eligible to renew by mail using form DS-82 - it's easy, and your old expired passport is all you need. But if the old passport was issued >15 years ago , use DS-11 and apply in person.

  • Thanks I will apply in person Commented May 14, 2023 at 21:39

For the requirement to present ID, the adult US passport apply-in-person page, "Present ID" section, says:

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo.

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

As you can see, if you present a state driver's license or state ID, it needs to be valid. However, one of the acceptable items is a valid or expired US passport. Since you have an expired US passport, that should be sufficient for the ID requirement.

  • This is only to identify you in-person, you still need to submit a proof of citizenship, which DLs aren't Commented May 15, 2023 at 4:54
  • @NicolasFormichella but expired passports are. In this case the applicant will be relying on the expired passport as both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. What's the point of mentioning the driver's license here?
    – phoog
    Commented May 15, 2023 at 7:37
  • Sorry ID, and yes indeed @phoog Commented May 15, 2023 at 8:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .