I'm trying to find what medical examination and certification I need for the New Zealand working holiday visa as a UK citizen.

The only information I can find is here. This says that applicants "may" need to get a medical examination:

"You may need to get a medical examination as part of your application. We use this to determine if you meet the acceptable standard of health criteria."

It then links off to information about chest x-rays here, but this seems to only be relevant to applicants coming from countries without low TB rates. The website gives a list of countries with low TB rates and says if you are coming from one of these, you don't need the chest x-ray (UK is on the list.)

I can't find information around the things that need to be tested for. I have found some UK doctors offering immigration medical examinations for NZ, such as here, but these seem to include x-rays?

Is there a list of things that need to be screened for as a UK citizen applying for this visa?

  • Will you get the 12 months or the 23 months visa? May 10, 2023 at 9:16

1 Answer 1


The page you linked state


  • If you need to have an x-ray or medical examination after you apply online, we’ll send you an email explaining what to do.

  • If you apply for a 23 month visa, you must provide medical certificates, unless you > have sent them to us with another application and they were issued in the last 36 months.

The Medical requirements for a WHV, state:

United Kingdom and Canada

If you are outside New Zealand and applying for a UK or Canada Working Holiday Visa for the maximum period of 23 months you must have a chest x-ray and general medical examination.

If you apply for a 23-month visa, you must provide a General Medical Certificate.

This means that it's either compulsory (for a 23-month visa), or discretionary (for shorter visas)

A General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) (along with other forms), which is usually to be sent electronically by a INZ panel physician who you must seek if one is present in your country (if there aren't any panel physicians in your country the relevant forms can be mailed by another physician)

The Health Requirements for visa applicants are given in the form of Health Requirements for entry to New Zealand (INZ 1121) which you can check for yourself

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .