I know there are hundreds of posts on the internet about traveling with multiple passports, but I'm new to this and I'm hoping other dual citizens with direct experience in this stuff can give me some advice on a weird flight itinerary I have coming up.
Basically, I am a US and Polish dual citizen flying on the following route:
(I believe this itinerary is all one one ticket, though the LYR-OSL route is with SAS and OSL-EWR is with Icelandair, if that matters.)
I know the basic rules of traveling with multiple passports are:
- Show the airline check-in the passport of the place you're going
- Show border control the passport of the place you're in
- Enter and exit a country on the same passport
- Enter and exit your home country on that country's passport
If I were flying KEF-EWR (or any other Schengen/EU-US itinerary), this would be straightforward. But my itinerary (LYR-OSL-KEF-EWR) actually has me doing the following:
- Entering the Schengen in OSL (LYR is in Svalbard, which is non-Schengen and non-EU, despite being a territory of the Kingdom of Norway) and spending the night there before my onward journey to KEF the next day
- Transiting the Schengen from OSL to KEF
- Exiting the Schengen in KEF
- Arriving in the US at EWR
So my question: Which passport do I show the airline at check-in in LYR?
I can think of 3 options:
- Show Polish Passport & Switch to US Passport In Transit – Would I want to show my Polish passport since my next transit destinations are in the Schengen (i.e., OSL and KEF) and I will be required to cross the border during my transit? But if I check in with my Polish passport for the LYR-OSL-KEF legs, will I have a chance to change my passport with the gate agent/check-in agent for the KEF-EWR leg of my flight? I obviously don't have an ESTA or US visa in my Polish passport, so I don't think they'd let me board my KEF-EWR flight unless I show a US passport anyway?
- Show US Passport & Transit with Polish Passport – Do I just show my US passport since that's my final destination and I obviously need to use my US passport to get back into the US? But if I show the US passport at LYR and that's the data on the passenger manifest, will that cause issues for me as I enter the Schengen in OSL and exit in KEF with a Polish passport? Will the border authorities be confused as to why some John Doe from the US never crossed the border in OSL/KEF despite arriving on a flight but why some random John Doe from Poland did even though they weren't on any flight manifest?
- Show US Passport & Transit with US Passport – Or... better yet... can I just do the whole thing on my US passport and enter Norway/exit Iceland as an American even though I am a citizen of an EU country? Is that allowed? Or am I legally required to enter the Schengen and/or EU on my EU passport?
I'm probably overthinking all of this, but it's my first time traveling after getting my Polish passport and I don't want to do anything wrong or get in trouble.
If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking it out and thanks in advance for all your advice! :)