I applied for residence permit after entering the country on a D visa. Residence card is not yet issued. I left the Schengen area (with an exit stamp). And soon I am returning while my D visa is still valid. I predict my card is not issued yet still.

At the border, should my passport be stamped? I heard someone saying it shouldn't, which is really confusing

just give the proof of residency (he is referring to the paper given to me when I applied for the permit) along with your passport and ask them not to stamp you

What's his logic?

What am I supposed to do?

  • 1
    What would be the use of asking for your passport not to be stamped?
    – jcaron
    Commented Apr 10, 2023 at 23:02
  • No idea. Maybe he knows some rule such as once you are a resident of a EU country, your passport shouldn't get stamped while entering EU?
    – oooooo
    Commented Apr 10, 2023 at 23:05
  • 2
    @oooooo If you're asking about some single random unknown person's advice, perhaps you should cite that advice, or at least put it in context?
    – Sneftel
    Commented Apr 11, 2023 at 8:08
  • 1
    Your passport should be stamped if you return to the Schengen zone from outside it. I don't think you can decide whether to get a stamp or not, most times you only answer if asked about anything. Otherwise, it goes "Hi, officer checks and stamps, hands back passport"
    – NelsonGon
    Commented Apr 11, 2023 at 12:16

1 Answer 1


What am I supposed to do?

Stop worrying. Since you have a valid D visa and a residence permit on the way, it doesn't much matter whether your passport is stamped. No harm will come from having a stamp, nor will any harm come from lacking a stamp.

The Schengen Borders Code actually calls for your passport to be stamped even after your residence permit is issued, but many countries have noticed that there's not much point in that practice so they've officially abandoned it. Some do; some don't. It just doesn't matter much.

What am I supposed to do?

Give your documents to the passport inspector and see what happens.

  • 1
    That's a brilliant answer. The residence permit will play the role of visa for you in the future, but stamping of the passport will continue for you. Imagine if you tear off a page with a visa from your passport and try to enter the Schengen zone. This will be the same case if you enter the Schengen zone with a residence permit only. This will not work, your passport plus permit will work together on the border and surely your passport will be stamped. Commented Apr 11, 2023 at 11:51
  • 2
    @BaratSahdzijeu "surely your passport will be stamped.": as this answer mentions, this is not always the case.
    – GoodDeeds
    Commented Apr 11, 2023 at 13:26
  • 2
    @GoodDeeds thank you for pointing and correcting me. Commented Apr 11, 2023 at 14:24
  • 1
    If you tear a page off your passport, chances are the passport is not valid anymore and you will have problems bigger than the stamp.
    – fraxinus
    Commented Apr 12, 2023 at 8:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .