I am applying to join a research group in a school in Switzerland and after the first round of interviews, I have been invited by the university in Zurich for an in-person interview so that I can meet the research group and give a presentation on the work I am currently doing. I intend to be in Switzerland for just a night and I am wondering what kind of visa I should be applying for? Should it be a business or tourist visa?

  • A related question; however, it didn't get a definitive answer. – Nate Eldredge Jun 11 '13 at 20:39
  • 11
    Universities often have an "international office" staffed with experts on visa and immigration issues. You could ask to be put in touch with this office. – Nate Eldredge Jun 11 '13 at 20:41
  • In the same situation (Zurich, PhD interview) in 2013 I went with a C type Schengen visa with a remark "Business". – Yrogirg May 3 '17 at 18:54

There are no "Business Visa" in Switzerland. There are only short-term (Type C) and long-term visa: in your case, you'll need a short term visa, the details can be read at the FAQ of the department of foreign affairs.

You will need to fill out a Schengen visa application and check "Study" in the "Main purpose" Box.

  • I don't think he should check "Study", since he's not actually studying. "Business" is more appropriate I believe. – Elchin Feb 5 '15 at 17:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.