I will be traveling with my girlfriend and her 4 year old toddler. We are traveling from TJ to Cabo. Does the 4 year old toddler need a passport to fly within Mexico or any other documentation?

2 Answers 2


According to the Aeromex flight information for passengers:

Infants (7 days to 2 years of age) on domestic flights have to have either a passport, or a birth certificate (Acta de nacimiento). For journeys originating from the Felipe Ángeles International Airport (NLU), there is an additional option of using a CURP for infants.

Minors (from 2 years of age) on domestic flights can use any of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • CURP
  • Valid passport
  • Valid school ID with photo

Yes, it's strange that infants can use a CURP only on flights originating from the NLU airport, while there's no such restriction for older minors, but that's what I read on the Aeromex website.

Disclaimer regarding the "CURP": all Mexican citizens (as well as permanent residents) have this alphanumeric identifier. While it's not mentioned explicitly on the Aeromex website, I believe it's not enough if a child has the CURP identifier issued by the government. Everyone has it. I believe it's necessary to carry an official card showing this CURP. But that's my personal opinion, I've never flown with Aeromex and never been to Mexico.

  • The CURP card is in your general list of minor documents. Is it not valid at other airports?
    – jdouglas
    Mar 23, 2023 at 15:29
  • 1
    The aswer was edited by another person and yes, it was a bit unclear. I've edited it again to make it clearer and I've also addressed your question. Mar 23, 2023 at 15:51

Aeromexico on their Documents page states:

For passengers boarding domestic flights, the following identification documents are permitted:

  • IMSS Credential with photo

  • FM3 with photo

  • Neighborhood Letter with photo, letterhead, and municipal seal

  • Current Passport

  • Consular ID

  • Valid Driver’s License

  • Professional’s ID

  • Military Service letter

  • Valid voter ID


  • Congressional ID

  • Mexican Nationality Certificate

  • Military ID

  • 5
    Is this needed for children that are traveling with their mother? Mar 21, 2023 at 20:16
  • 4
    Nicolas can you please add a short bit which tells OP and others which papers the kid is likely to have and which will be enough.
    – Willeke
    Mar 22, 2023 at 9:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .