I have booked my ticket from Canada to India via Haneda airport, Japan. My layover is 16 hours at Haneda airport and date change 10 July to 11 July. Is a transit visa required?

  • 2
    Are you a Canadian or Indian national?
    – nanash1
    Mar 15, 2023 at 8:18

1 Answer 1


According to the Embassy of Japan in Canada,

A transit Visa is for travelers who are stopping over in Japan en route to another country due to flight schedules.

  • Canadian citizens and nationals of countries with Reciprocal Visa Exemption Agreements with Japan do not require a Transit Visa. (List of the countries) As of March 16 2023, Canada is on the Reciprocal Visa Exemption Agreements list. India is not.
  • No visa required for all nationalities if you are transiting through Japan within the same airport without leaving the secured area.

This information allows us to answer your question:

  1. If you do not need to leave the secured area of your arrival airport to take your connecting flight, you do not need a transit Visa.
  2. If you need to leave the secured area, you do no need a transit visa if the passport you use to travel is on the Reciprocal Visa Exemption Agreements list. If your nationality is not on the list, you need a transit visa.

Some reasons you could have to leave the secured area are:

  • Change of airport for connecting flight.
  • Change of airport terminal.
  • Layover too long to stay in the secured area (not all airport terminals are 24h).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .