I would like to visit Belarus. To apply for a Belarusian visa, one needs an "invitation", which is usually provided by a hotel or travel agency. However, I would like to travel independently, staying with CouchSurfing hosts.

Is it possible to do this?

Here's the Belarusian visa application form. Boxes 21 and 22 concern the invitation.

  • Which citizenship do you apply with? For some countries it's different.
    – ogram
    Commented Jun 9, 2013 at 16:31
  • For which countries is it different?
    – nibot
    Commented Jun 9, 2013 at 19:28
  • 1
    "To get a short-term visa for private purposes (visiting Belarusian relatives, friends, other private matters) with a validity of 30 days, maximum for 1-, 2- or multiple entries for citizens of the EU as well as nationals of several other countries, such as Australia, Andorra, Argentina, Bahrain, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Chili, Island, Israel, Norway, Swiss Confederation, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Uruguay, Republic of South Africa and Japan, no visa support documents shall be required (letter of invitation etc. documents)." wikitravel.org/en/Belarus
    – ogram
    Commented Jun 9, 2013 at 21:44
  • 1
    I'm curious what made you pick the destination?
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 10, 2013 at 14:41
  • @LexVjatkin I also read that WikiTravel page, however the correctness of that statement is disputed on the Talk page. I'd like to have a more authoritative source.
    – nibot
    Commented Jun 10, 2013 at 18:42

2 Answers 2


If you search for "Belarus invitation" you can find a slew of formal letters that you will need to obtain a visa.

If you are going as a tourist then this particular letter is for you. There is also a post from one of the travel agencies in Belarus about who has to send you one of these letters if you need it.


As of about two weeks ago, citizens of 80 countries had the visa requirements waived if and only if the arrive at Minsk airport on an international flight (except Russia). They are allowed to stay for up to 5 days.

This came in as I was getting documents together for my trip in May!


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .