I'm a non-EEA national, a spouse of EEA, and I hold a residence permit under the article 10 2004/38/ce, we entered Ireland without any problems, my question is, do I have to apply for an Irish Residence Permit?

  • 4
    What do you want to do in Ireland? Does your EEA spouse intend to establish there with you?
    – xngtng
    Feb 16, 2023 at 13:21
  • 3
    How long do you plan to stay in Ireland? If "indefinitely" then this question belongs on Expatriates. Otherwise, the answer is probably "no," but not necessarily. Details matter.
    – phoog
    Feb 16, 2023 at 17:55

1 Answer 1


Yes, you must apply for an Irish residence card (Article 10) to replace your Italian residence card if your spouse intends to stay longer than 3 months.

EU Treaty Rights - Immigration Service Delivery (Ireland)
Freedom of movement
You cannot use a ‘residence card of a family member of a union citizen’ that has been issued by another member state to authorise your long-term stay in Ireland. Your residence card must be issued by the Irish authorities.

  • Thank you so much, your answer was very helpful
    – Yazan
    Feb 17, 2023 at 21:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .