I am from the UK and applying for a national D visa for subordinate work. I have been told a few times that I will need health insurance as part of the visa application.

For instance this article which states a requirement for a long stay visa:

Health insurance of at least €30,000, covering all possible arising medical emergencies.

I understand that an entry requirement is travel insurance

from the Uk Gov entry requirements for Italy

show proof of insurance for your trip

But that is not health insurance.

I can not find a single mention of health insurance on the consulate website nor VFS nor their checklist. If it is a requirement in the visa application process why is it not listed by the consulate or the firm processing the application?

  • 1
    Please go into more detail about your subordinate work. Is this an UK employer you are doing work for in Italy and are paying you in the UK? If yes, then you must have an health insurance that can be used while working in Italy. If an Italian firm that is paying you in Italy, then that would probably include a health insurance. So further details are needed to answer the question. Commented Jan 6, 2023 at 20:40
  • @MarkJohnson It is an Italian firm. Regardless of UK or Italian, the demarcation should be stipulated by the consulate or some other official documentation, no?
    – fdcpp
    Commented Jan 6, 2023 at 20:43
  • @MarkJohnson let me be more precise in my wording. I’m going to go to VFS to apply for a Visa. I have everything on their checklist. Insurance is not on that checklist. If VFS turn round and ask “where is your insurance” 1. How am I meant to know I need it if it is not on the checklist? 2. If I do need it, what official source stipulates that health insurance is a requirement for the visa application?
    – fdcpp
    Commented Jan 6, 2023 at 20:56
  • Heavy crossover with travel.stackexchange.com/questions/178652/… but there is some nuance here
    – fdcpp
    Commented Jan 6, 2023 at 21:12
  • No, it is your responsibility to fulfill all conditions for entry. It is for you to inform them how you will be insured based on your situation. An employee on assignment requires a A1 certificate (Brexit: new rules for globally mobile employees | RSM UK), where as an employee of an Italian firm will be insured directly. A self employed person (or student) must insure themselfs. etc. Please add the relevent information to your question. Commented Jan 7, 2023 at 4:23

1 Answer 1


Short Answer: No

Long Answer: no, but of course insurance is a good thing to have, it is just not a requirement for the National Visa D application for Italy from the UK. If a document is not listed on the VFS checklist it is not a requirement for an application.

Source: 3 separate VFS agents


I rarely see follow-ups of those asking visa questions after they have gone through the process.

I have just finished the visa process and can confirm at no point was I asked for my health insurance or any supporting documentation for health insurance.

  • The UK Gov page Healthcare for UK nationals living in Italy gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-italy says: *You must show proof of healthcare cover: - before you can register as a resident - when you apply for a visa
    – Traveller
    Commented Jan 11, 2023 at 14:37
  • @Traveller Residence permits (permesso di soggiorno) is a separate issue. You’re correct though, some health coverage is required. Withe respect to a Visa, that UK gov page contradicts what I’ve been told by both the consulate and VFS. Since VFS and the consulate are the ones dealing with the application I’m inclined to take their word
    – fdcpp
    Commented Jan 11, 2023 at 15:41
  • The sum itsself (€30.000) is from the Visa Code Article 15 Travel medical insurance, which is covered by a EHIC (UK: GHIC) card. So this is probably a matter of a false term being used. Since most peaple in the UK are covered by the NHS, the coveraged is assumed and not asked about it (as apposed to countries where health coverage in not manditory where they would ask about it). Commented Feb 10, 2023 at 15:22
  • @MarkJohnson Your comments have transitioned from my info being insufficient, through to the suggestion that I am ignorant and irresponsible by not understanding the rules, providing misinformation by conflating Nation and Health / travel insurance, and finally landing on that I will need a GHIC card and the wording of "health insurance" is a false term. I understand you are trying to help here, but you are really doing more damage than good. Please stop
    – fdcpp
    Commented Feb 10, 2023 at 16:35
  • Well, I answered a question yesterday about Travel medical insurance yesterday and recognised the 30.000 sum today. BTW: have a look at the back side of your NHS card... Commented Feb 10, 2023 at 16:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .