I am a UK national and will be moving to work in Italy with a contract of 3 years during which I will receive a Permesso di Soggiorno

The current National Visa (D) Form form has a field:

  1. Number of entries required:

[ ] One [ ] Two [ ] Multiple

Once I have been issued a Permesso di Soggiorno will it allow me limitless travel between the UK and Italy?


Will I need to re-apply for a visa under the Multiple field to allow for limitless travel between the UK and Italy?

Edit: Post Script

In the end it took 9 months for our permesso to arrive. The only trouble we had in that time was when flying via another airport. We sadly could not always take direct flights back to the UK. In the situations we would have to transfer somewhere else in Europe there was usually a bit of confusion at passport control, in particular we had some trouble at Frankfurt. Italy is aware of its own system but that does not mean the rest of Europe is. This can be a problem if you have a tight transfer window, so keep it in mind when booking flights.

  • Your present permit allows you to reside in Italy. As a UK citizen, based on your passport alone, you can travel back and forth as often as you want, since you don't require a Schengen Visa to enter the Schengen Area. Dec 28, 2022 at 13:24

1 Answer 1


The number of entry on a D visa is meaningless in your case.

Because, you will receive a Permesso di Soggiorno, which is a common format residence permit, which allows you to enter/exit/transit/visit Schengen however you like (provided you respect the Schengen clock if you are looking to visit other Schengen states of course).

As a national D visa is only used for initial entry and then the residence permit takes the place of it proving your legal stay in the country

The little differing bit is when you apply for it because this can take months for you to receive the card.

Without the physical card, you would usually be required to apply again for a return visa abroad, before being able to return to the country. With the exception during a renewal when it is common rule to allow you to travel with the renewal application receipt and the expired permit

Italy is differing quite a bit in that sense because, contrary to most other Schengen countries, you can leave and re-enter freely while your first application for a Permesso is processed.

You need to provide to the border official the receipt that you receive from the Post Office when you lodge your initial application and must leave/re-enter the Schengen Area through Italy and not other Schengen states while you don't have your permesso

La polizia del Stato states :

The same facilitated procedure is granted to foreigners who have submitted their application for their first residence permits for employment, self-employment, or family reunification, provided that:

  • they leave and re-enter Italy through any Italian external border crossing point (cicular letter 11th March 2009);
  • they show their passport or other equivalent travel document, along with the entry visa specifying the reasons of their stay (employment, self-employment, or family reunification ) and the receipt issued by Italian Post offices (Poste Italiane S.p.A.);
  • they do not transit through other Schengen countries, as this is not allowed.
  • you would usually be required to apply again for a return visa even if I check Multiple? For instance, if I needed to travel back to the UK before I receive the Permesso di Soggiorno would selecting Multiple mean I could do so freely, or would I still need to apply for Re-entry to Italy?
    – fdcpp
    Dec 28, 2022 at 13:06
  • 1
    The last part of the answer treat exactly your issue @fdcpp Dec 28, 2022 at 13:07
  • If I have parsed that correctly I can exit / re-enter Italy freely so long as I have at least some receipt of my Permesso di Soggiorno even if I have selected Single entry on my visa application form. Have I understood correctly?
    – fdcpp
    Dec 28, 2022 at 13:11
  • 1
    @fdcpp It isn't more expensive, the cost for a D visa is the same irrespective of the numbers of entries, why would they pressure you? This is weird Dec 28, 2022 at 13:23
  • 1
    As a UK citizen, that doesn't require a Schengen Visa for the other Schengen countries, only some proof of residence is required to explain why the enter/exit stamps cannot be used to determine the amount of days spent in the other Schengen countries since the days in Italy don't count. Dec 28, 2022 at 13:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .