I would like to book a ship from France to US, hopefully Louisiana or Texas in the Spring. My fiancé has a health condition that prohibits air flight and I want to get him here as soon as possible to get him ready for surgery. How can I do this?
You can take a trans-Atlantic cruise, or charter your own yacht/hitch a ride on a cargo ship. There are many cruises, but they may be slower and not necessarily convenient location or time-wise (here's an example from Barcelona to New York). There's still a Trans-Atlantic passenger line from Southampton to New York, AFAIK that's the last one remaining.
You'll need to talk to private yacht owners or cargo shipping companies to arrange passage not on a generally available ticket. There are some potential websites which can facilitate that (example).
This, of course, under the assumption that the fiance actually exists, you've met them, know them personally, and trust them to be who they say they are. Most of the times "internet fiance" would be a scam.
While there are general answers to your question (in addition to travel on freighters, there are cruise lines crossing the Atlantic), would any of them be safe for somebody with the health condition to allude to? And there are few medical procedures which are available in the US, yet unavailable in Europe.
I agree with littleadv, this smells of a romance scam.
Lets assume you have checked the person is really your fiancé and has indeed a health condition that prevents flying and is in need of surgery.
The next items on this list all have to been done, possibly some will require answers from others but the best way is likely to start them all as soon as you can.
- Consult with their current doctors what travel restrictions there are.
- Ask about surgery prognoses in their current location and near other locations like the next few countries.
- Inquire about the cost of treatment in both current location and near other locations and the US.
- Contact their health insurance whether they prefer to pay for the surgery and care around it in the US or where the patient is now.
- Contact your chosen transport company, which can be a cruise line, the cross Atlantic line ship company, a cargo company with passenger accommodation or an airline, whether they will take a passenger with these health conditions.
After you have gotten a few or all answers, contact your fiancé and ask them, pointing out advantages, disadvantages and costs.
It may well turn out that surgery in the US is not the only or even the best option.