I am an Indian citizen. I am a PhD scholar and I want to participate in a 5 days research conference in the USA. I am not aware of what kind of visa category I will need. I heard about F1 Visa or J1 visa or B1 visa. But not sure which would be appropriate for me. How to apply for a B1/F1/J1 Visa?

Thanks for your guidance.

  • 2
    For conferences B1/B2 visa should be fine. I don't have experience applying. Let the experienced people reply here. Dec 21, 2022 at 8:33
  • @AnishSheela, thank you
    – MAS
    Dec 21, 2022 at 8:35
  • 5
    You need a B1/B2 visa for that. If you live in India, the wait time for US visa appointments is currently around 3 years. Dec 21, 2022 at 9:15
  • @ThomasCruise, you mean there is no appointments now. I am living in India. I think there will some way by directly mailing to visa consulate
    – MAS
    Dec 21, 2022 at 14:17
  • 1
    @MAS You can mail the consulate. That is how those with urgent travel, like students (F-1), workers (H1B), etc are getting earlier appointments. If the consulates is convinced of the urgency of travel (which I doubt in case of a conference), they can provide an earlier appointment. A lot of people were also able to get earlier appointments by booking an appointment first and then constantly checking for any opened up slots due to cancelation and grabbing them. You can check the wait time here: travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/… Dec 21, 2022 at 16:03


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .